The program Searcheverything (Click here) is fast and simple and oh so free. I use it all the time and it is much better than Microsoft's. The only slow part of Searcheverything is sometime when it starts if you have not used it in a while, and it might take a minute to sort all your files.
1> ;Lets assume we want to search for a file name "20140715 Linda to Charlote Eye20130808030.pdf"
(I put an icon for a shortcut on your task bar along the bottom of the screen on the very last place on the right of all the icons - so it can be found easily)
2>If not there, type part of the searcheverything into Windows search bar on the start button.
3> Look up at the top for the word "searcheverything" (not "searcheverything help") and click on it.
4> A security screen might open asking permission to continue. Click yes or ok, I forget.
5>The program should open almost immediately unless not used in a while
6> You should get a screen similar to this which is listing all your files.
7> copy and paste in or Type in the whole filename of "20140715 Linda to Charlote Eye20130808030.pdf" without the quotes.
or
type in some parts of it (to save typing) such as 4075 or the misspelled charlote or the 20130808030 and as you do it will be finding any files that way.
8> if it come up with a screen full of suspected , you can sort by date if you have an idea of date by clicking the heading once or twice.
9> notice down on the bottom left the number of file suspects, If to many and especially over 3, 000 it might take too long to find what you want or sort so you might want to try another wording in the entry line
10>If you see the file you want, right click on it and there are various options to help you use the file or locate it easier.You have to practice them as right now I cannot tell u all the choices.
11> if you click on a file, it should open.
12> I will add to this later, ;let me know questions
-------------------------------------------------
FROM THE DEVELOPERS WEB SITE:
Clicking any of the The following will take you to the main page for Searcheverything:
- Everything
- What is "Everything"?
- How long will it take to index my files?
- Does Everything search file contents?
- Does "Everything" hog my system resources?
- Does "Everything" monitor file system changes?
- Is "Everything" free?
- Does "Everything" contain any malware, spyware or adware?
- Does "Everything" miss changes made to the file system if it is not running?
- What are the system requirements for "Everything"?
- How do I convert a volume to NTFS?
- Can "Everything" index a mapped network drive?
- How do I install the language pack?
- Searching
- How do I search for a file or folder?
- How do I use boolean operators?
- How do I use wildcards?
- How do I use regex?
- How do I include spaces in my search?
- How do I search for a file type?
- How do I search for files and folders in a specific location?
- Troubleshooting
- The result list is empty or contains only drives