20120123 DAILY JOURNAL

cc

DAILY JOURNAL 3.0: THE BASIN NEEDS A LITTLE HELP! 

 Really Big scare as I could not find, rather the Daily Journal would not show any entries. After hour got to work by moving the file.copy I mean. to the R drive and here it is. years and years of working . .I cannot lose this . I need to backup on another computer and to the back up drives

R:\DJWINBCK.001 Location on Vista (did nor hwlp, said the ext ??? drive not ready)

image
About 1000 years ago, I bought a wonderful little journaling program from Parsons technology called "Daily Journal 2.0." I think it was designed for windows 3.1. DJ was basically a personal and professional diary system in an easy to organize and totally searchable format. Like so many other Parsons products, it was slick, not a memory hog and quite inexpensive. I used it for years. In 1998 or 99 Parsons, which was now Broderbund, put out an updated version labeled, logically enough, Daily Journal 3.0. It did everything that 2.0 did and had some prettier graphics. I still use it and it still works great.

Here is the rub: it does not work with Windows 7. It does not work in the 64-bit environment. You cannot "force- install it". You cannot "virtual session" it.  And you cannot run it with DOS commands. Since all of my machines will soon be in Windows 7, 64-bit, I need a successor or comparable program, preferably one that will accommodate the 15 years or so of entries that I have in the Daily Journal proprietary document format.

Parsons is no help. Parsons it became Broderbund, became Mattell, became Broderbund again and then became Broderbund Lite (under new ownership). I'm not even sure they actually develop software anymore (cool stuff never stays the same.) I have trolled CNet and ZDNet, Kim Komando and a couple of European sites. I tried one Journal program that was, at best, crude. So my current situation is that I am on the cusp of having no useful journaling program and nothing that can print and read my previous 15 years of journaling data.

My help request is essentially in two parts: first, can you point me to a good, topically indexed journaling program? And; can you point me to a journaling program (whether really good or not) that will allow me to print, access and/or search my existing Daily Journal 3.0 proprietary journal data? If you would rather provide the assistance privately by e-mail is rule5draft@gmail.com.


This process is like putting one's old, trusty dog down. It is not easy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.