Instructions for copying Pictures from Nikon Camera to Hard Drive on Computer and to send to Smugmug and Facebook. (Pictures not Present. Go to

Camera, FaceBook, Nikon, Nikon Transfer, Polyview, Printfree, Smugmug

On 20091030 I revised this to reflect the automatic ability of the Nikon Transfer to name files as we want saving us steps. I have highlighted the chages by bolding the text. I notice I have not finished these instructions and maybe some day I will add Face Book Instructions. . By the way, the directory I created has been removed to give you the chance to sart the new month according to the instructions.

I. I removed the section on PolyView from the first part of these instructions and put them near the end

II. Camera - Now we will learn how to move the photos from the camera to the hard drive.

A. First thing to do is be sure rotation is correct by doing the following

B. Turn Camera on

C. Push square button on front to show pictures already taken

D. push square “menu”

E. select “rotate Image” and push round button

F. use round button and move photos right or left to see photos

G. for photos rotated wrong, push round button

H. push round button right or left to line up correctly

I. when correct (horizontal) push round button.

J. Repeat above steps until all are ok

K. 11 Turn Camera off

III. How to move photos from camera to hard drive

A. Be sure camera is off

B. remove memory card

C. insert memory card easily into the computer slot

D. Look for auto program to open. It is only good to confirm that the computer sees the memory card. Do nothing with that screen, just let it sit there until we close Nikon Transfer..

E. Find and open Nikon Transfer. Nikon Transfer (to be used to create or select Month folderand then to copy photos from the memory card to the hard drive).

1. Find and open Nikon Transfer program

a.

2. Be sure the “primary destination” is the current month, ie 2009.11 (If not created, will need to create as discussed below)

a.

3. Select drop down arrow

4. Select “Browse” at bottom (This has been hard for you to remember)

a.

5. Select “Browse” at bottom

6. Here are pictures for the next section

a.

7. If this is not first entry for Month, skip this section (Go to #9, unless I forget and renumber). If this is the first entry for the month or the Month Directory has not been created or if you want to create it early, you need to create the month folder and here is how

a. You already have clicked Browse, now find the year directory (ie, 2009)

b. Put cursor on the year fiile/directory

c. Locate in the menu box near lower left had corner “Make new Folder”

d. Click on “Make New Folder”

e. Type name for folder as the new month, ie 200911

f. Hit enter

g.

h. Put cursor on new folder you just created , ie 200911

i. Hit ok

j. Be sure the primary destination is the folder you just created or want, ie 200911

8. (Steps through previous number were for first time of month)

9. Be sure the “primary destination” is the current month, ie 2009.11 (If not created, will need to create as discussed above)

a.

10. Select drop down arrow

11. Select “Browse” at bottom (This has been hard for you to remember)

a.

12. Select “Browse” at bottom

13. Now Find the Month file/directory you created/want , ie 200911 So in this example, find the year, ie 2009, then the month, , ie 200911

a.

b. Click on the current month

c. Click ok in above screen

d. Notice you destination now is the 200911

e. The program now is ready to automatically create folders/directories under the month, ie 200911 in our example. If you send up fphotos with several different dates, it will create the folder for them using the date and separate by date. If you send up a batch, then later take more pictures that day and send them up, it will add a suffix to the file name.

f. click “OK”

14. Click on “Start Transfer” found at lower right hand of screen. It knows which photos need to be copied. It will copy all in you memory card if you have not already copied or it will send just the uncopied files. It will put in new folders it creates automatically if we have done the above steps.

a.

15. Close Nikon Transfer

F. To send photos to Smugmug, do this for such as the photos you get Thursday from the church of the Visitor photos.

1. Use something like Polyview to Find the Photo on you Hard Drive and get its name. It will be something like “20091001-12345” Remember file name

2. Open Smugmug, log in

3. Notice on your Smugmug Home page you have categories including Family, Animals, Church, . . .Sports, Travel and others

a.

4. Click Church and you get

a.

5. Click Hospitality and you get

a.

6. Click Visitor Signs and get

a.

7. Click “Add Photos Click “to this Gallery” and get (soory, dark)

a.

8. Click “Select files and folders

a.

9. Find Picture on you hard drive

a.

b.

c.

d.

e. Click on the directory 20091001 and it should select all or you can select one file or several files.

10. (As indicated somehere else ????, You might want to use Polyview to look at the picture if you do not know its number. This is what Milton did not like about the uploader we are using as he could not easily see the Photo, only the name)

11. If just one file, Find the Picture by file name and select only it

12. click “open”

13. Click “Upload”

14.

15. After Upload, click “done” or “Visitor Signs” to see if it work.

16. It will take a few seconds for Smugmug to process but not too long for just one picture. If impatient or to see when finished, refresh screen until you can see picture

17. If Photos are crooked, go to tools and rotate . . . .

IV. On 20091030 I revised this to reflect the automatic ability of the Nikon Transfer to name files as we want saving us steps. I have highlighted the chages by bolding the text. I notice I have not finished these instructions and maybe some day I will add Face Book Instructions. . By the way, the directory I created has been removed to give you the chance to sart the new month according to the instructions.

V. I removed the section on PolyView from the first part of these instructions and put them near the end Using Polyview to Make directories/File folders for pictures on Hard drive (“directory” is same as “file folder” or “folder” or “file” in this write-up.)

A. Open Polyview (Parrot)

1. Select Thumbnail

2.

3. Select Thumbnail Explorer

4.

5. Find year of 2009

6.

7. Example to create a directory/file folder for October 2009 and the date of October 1, 2009 for first entry in October.

a. Be sure on right year of 2009 now

b. Put cursor on icon for 2009 – not on the 2-0-0-9

c.

d.

e. Right click

f. Select “new folder

g.

h. Type in 200910 (for year and month), Enter

i.

j. Put cursor on 200910, lright click, select new folder, type in date name which is this case is 20091001, enter

01

02

k. Repeat if you want to create more folders now for several dates. I often create a month at a time even though I might need more folders for one day later

8. Example/more practice to create a directory/file folder for another date in October 2009 after initial year and month file for 200910 has been created as in the above example.

a. Example is for date of 10/2/09

b. Find 200910

c. Left click

d. Create new folder

e. Typed date as name for folder as 20091001

f. Enter

g. Here is what you should have

01

9. For the moment we are through with Polyview. We have created our directory tree on the hard drive so that when we are adding photos to the computer, we will already have the folders created. You might want to come back to Polyview to create more folders such as “20091002.uncfootballmeal”

a. Therefore you can leave Polyview open if you want , or close it and just open when you need it.

b. But for now, we move to something else

VI. On 20091030 I revised this to reflect the automatic ability of the Nikon Transfer to name files as we want saving us steps. I have highlighted the chages by bolding the text. I notice I have not finished these instructions and maybe some day I will add Face Book Instructions. . By the way, the directory I created has been removed to give you the chance to sart the new month according to the instructions. I removed the section on PolyView from the first part of these instructions and put them near the end